I am not sure if anyone is reading this anymore. I have been ignoring the blog since I returned to work a month ago. Life has gotten back to its usual craziness, which has been great! I have a prayer/happy thought/positive vibe request for anyone out there.
My friend Anna, an American living in Finland and a loyal blog follower and commenter during my recent battle was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 days ago. Since getting the news yesterday, I have been so MAD. How can this be happening to another 30-something mother??? Anna and I are the same age. She also has 2 children - 2 girls, aged 3 and 8 months. Her 3 year old and Emily were in the same baby group in Finland. Anna has a friend in Finland who was diagnosed the same day as me - January 14, 2011. Her friend is also our age. I really want to know what the hell is going on? Here are 3 women in their late 30s, who grew up in different parts of the world (Finland, NY and California) all getting breast cancer. The one thing we have in common is a 3 year old child.
Anyway, please say a prayer for Anna. She is having a single mastectomy next Tuesday. After that, they will decide on additional treatment. To all my friends in Finland, please give Anna a HUGE hug from me the next time you see her. I wish I could be closer and help her. I now understand how you all felt this winter when you could not be here for me on a daily basis. But I know how much the support from afar helped and I will do what I can from here for Anna.
It's a horrifying epidemic among our generation. It pisses me off too. ;( Praying for Anna's successful and victorious battle. She's lucky to have you as a friend who can help her get through it with the knowledge and insight you have gained in your experience with it. And, yes, I still follow your blog ;). xoxo
ReplyDeletei just can't believe it. i just can't believe it. olli and i will be sitting on the couch and one of us will just say, "anna." and it's just so crazy.
ReplyDeletewe're all just waiting for tuesday, waiting for them to tell us what the heck is going on.
The other thing we have in common is that we had pregnancies in our late 30s. According to my breast surgeon, that's a big risk factor. So all you other moms in your late 30s, PLEASE do your BSEs!!! As much as I don't want to go through this ordeal, I'm glad I have the opportunity to fight. If I'd never found the lump myself, it might have been too late by the time someone else did...
ReplyDeleteOh, and, Julie, you are right. Even if they were unlucky getting cancer, I am SO lucky to have 2 friends who have gone before me and can help lead the way for me. I'm thankful for Amanda and all my friends (Sarah- you, too!) for supporting me and keeping me going. Thanks to you, too, for the prayers.
We have to wonder if there is something we are all exposed to in foods. So many processed ingredients/artificial additives.
ReplyDeleteEach person's successful battle with cancer paves the way for the next person with the terrible diagnosis.
Amanda, please keep your blog up. You are such an inspiration, and your story needs to continue to give others hope.
I will keep your friend Anna in my prayers and hope that she gets positive outcomes as you did.
I check in from time to time to see if there are any updates, and I was very sad to read this one. Anna will definitely be in my prayers as she begins her battle with this terrible disease...and I am hopeful that she will kick it to the curb as you did, Amanda! Love, Judi
ReplyDelete