Monday, May 30, 2011

Next step in my reconstruction

On Friday, I will have surgery to swap out my expanders for my implants, or my "more real fake boobs" as I have been referring to them.     Craig and I refer to my expander-filled breasts as "the coconuts" because the shape resembles that of a coconut bra. They are really unnatural looking and are uncomfortable when the kids bump into them (or I bump them into something).    I am dreading the whole surgery aspect of this, mostly the anesthesia and recovery but I am excited to see what my body/breasts will look like going forward.    I am also excited to stop wearing sports bras.  I have not been allowed to wear bras with underwire since my mastectomy.   Since my size and shape now is not what it will be once I have the implants, I have not wanted to invest in any nice non-underwire bras.  A lot of my work clothes are not conducive to sports bras!  I have to wear sports bras for the first 3 weeks after this surgery but then I can go back to regular ones.   

The surgery itself is scheduled for 11:00am.   I have to be at the hospital at 9:00am.    The surgery will take about 2 hours and then I will be in recovery for 2-3 hours.   Craig's Dad is coming down to help and will likely be my ride to and from the hospital so Craig can get Raymond to a number of activities that are happening the same day (Field Day at school, T-ball Fan Appreciation night, swimming lesson). 

This may or may not be the last step in my reconstruction.   Once the implants are in and settled, I might need some adjustments to get everything even.    Breast reconstruction is as much an art as it is a science.  There is only so much the surgeon can do in one procedure.    Also, there is the matter of recreating a nipple on my right breast.   I am undecided about whether I will have that done.   If I do, it will not be until the Fall at the earliest.   I plan to enjoy the rest of my summer!

My friend Anna goes in for her mastectomy in a matter of hours.  Please say a prayer that they get clean margins and the lymph nodes are clear!

3 comments:

  1. here's hoping the artist gets it right the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cuz! I am sending you loads of love and the best of all vibes for tomorrow. Thank goodness it's earlier in the day this time! I'm hoping for low-stress, uncomplicated, pain-managed perfection. Because you deserve it! And so does your friend Anna...my best to her this week as well.

    Love makes the world go round, GF!
    CST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sarah! Hope it all goes well so you don't need any do-overs.

    Thanks for all the good wishes and rallying on my behalf. I think all the positive vibes and healing energy has helped since the lymph nodes were CLEAR! So here's to another step for us BOTH on the road to recovery.

    Although it sucks that we both have had cancer, I'm thankful to have you as a friend and fellow survivor!

    ReplyDelete