Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Chemo #5 - Done!

Today I had chemo #5, switching to a new drug called Taxol, which is supposed to be "easier" than the adryamiacin/cytoxan combo.  So far, so good. 

The day did not start out great.  When I arrived for my blood draw, I found out the my regular chemo nurse, Mary-Beth was not in because she was at some sort of meeting in Boston. This must have come up last minute because she had been on my schedule and she hadn't told me she'd be out when I talked to her last Monday.  I was disappointed because I was definitely nervous about starting the new drug.  Sandra, her stand-in was great and quickly put my mind at ease.

Next, I saw the physician assistant for the surgeon who installed my port.  I had been having some discomfort with it last week so they scheduled some time with him to take a look at it.  What I am feeling is totally normal. I think part of it is the bulkier coats and scarves I am wearing now in the cold which are rubbing against the port.  Also, the swelling has totally gone down and I have lost a few pounds with the chemo which means there is nothing but skin "protecting" the port.   We also talked about when I can have it removed, which is pretty much right after chemo ends.   I am VERY excited about that.   I really want the scar to be mostly healed before the big Hawaii trip at the end of June.  (My oncologist said if the port is really bothering me, that I could get it out at any time since I have few treatments left and my veins are pretty good.  Since I went through the trouble of getting the thing, I'll keep it in until the end.  Plus, it is soooo much easier for the nurses!)   The procedure to remove can be done under local anesthesia and takes about 10 minutes. I can even drive myself to it.   I can't wait to get rid of it!

Then, I saw Dr. Sinclair, my oncologist.  We talked about Sunday's ER visit.  My counts are mostly back to being ok, so no further potassium or magnesium is needed.  I felt mostly back to normal this morning, which was good.  We also talked about my shortness of breath issues (which I almost forgot to bring up because I hadn't written them down).  My iron is low but not dangerously low so she is a little worried about it.  If it gets any worse, she wants to know as she'll have me do a CT Scan to ensure I don't have a blood clot.  She thinks it is probably related to the anemia and dehydration since I am struggling with drinking.   I will go in for fluids 2 times this cycle to boost me a bit.  We'll see if that helps.  We talked about the Taxol and potential side effects and how to manage.  She keeps promising that this will be better - less nausea and fatigue (although there will still be some).  There is also the potential for joint pain which I can take Aleve for.  Mild exercise also helps so I need to take more walks.  Finally, we talked a little about the ongoing monitoring I will have and who I will see.  It is up to me if I see her or Dr. Winer or both of them.  I think I would opt to see her mostly because I like her and she is close but also to see him once a year to stay connected.   That is a later decision but I like that she is open to me seeing both of them.

Then it was time for chemo. My pre-meds were compasine (anti-nausea), pepcid (heartburn is a common side effect) and a rather large dose of benadryl to prevent an allergic reaction.  I had also taken steroid pills at 11pm and 5am, to temper an allergice reaction, which led to a terrible night sleep.   The benadryl made me incredibly sleepy so I slept through most of the 3 hour Taxol admission.   Next time, they might cut the dose a bit so I am not so drowsy!   I am very happy to report I had no allergic reaction, which I was a bit worried about.  Had that happened, they would want me to switch to the 12 weekly doses of Taxol, which would extend the timeline out by 4-5 weeks.  I definitely don't want that.   So I also need to hope the side effects are manageable because if I am really struggling, they would consider the 12 week plan.  I'll do my best to suck it up so I can stick with my last scheduled chemo dose on February 25!

On a side note, I have mentioned a Hawaii trip in passing but provided no details.  Craig and I decided that at the end of all this cancer nonsense, we need a fun family adventure to celebrate.  Last time, I got beautiful diamond earrings, which I love and wear every day, but only I really benefit from them!  This time, the cancer journey is so much longer and disruptive to our family so we all need to be in on the end of trip gift.   We will spend 1 week on Oahu at the Aulani Resort that is a Disney property, thereby using our Disney Vacation Club Points we had planned to use in May at Disney World.   We will spend the second week at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort, where Craig and I stayed in 2001.  Kauai is beautiful and the resort is amazing.  We are all so excited for this light at the end of the tunnel.  Hopefully I have at least some hair by then!

4 comments:

  1. Heard great things about both of those hotels...something fin to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim and I stayed there in 2002. Agree amazing and something to look forward to for the entire family. Hang in there... your amazingly strong. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. All eyes on Hawaii, dear cousin! I am no nutritionist, but surely mai tais are loaded with potassium. And I think you can get your iron and magnesium from looking at, or holding relics from the volcanos. In Hawaii, chemo ports are OUT and ports of call are IN. It is tough going right now but you are closing in on paradise. OSAAT, and deep breaths! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great plan to have something to look forward to. We did a road trip to Seattle and it was the most meaningful trip ever this far. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete