Thursday, January 29, 2015

Chemo #6 Done

Yesterday, I had chemo #6.  Luckily it did not get too messed up by the blizzard we had on Monday/Tuesday.   The cancer center did a delayed opening so my appointment got pushed back from 9am to 12:00pm.  I was afraid it would be packed in there and that the treatment would take forever but it went pretty smoothly.  The only change was that Dr. Sinclair came to see me in my infusion room rather than having the appointment in an exam room.

We started talking about post-chemo next steps since I only have 2 more to go after today (woohoo)!   I'll be getting the port out right after chemo ends (WOOHOO!) so I'll see the surgeon's PA at my last chemo on the 25th to get that scheduled.  Dr. Sinclair will send an email to Dr. Lingos, the radiation oncologist, to get that ball rolling again.   That should start 2-4 weeks after chemo ends (and last 6-6.5 weeks).    We also talked about what medication I will go on when this is all over.   There was a new study that just came out in December indicating that Aromasin is my best option.   Dr. Sinclair plans to discuss this with Dr. Winer when she sees him today to confirm that he agrees.   As part of this drug, I will need a shot every three months to suppress my ovarian function, putting me into menopause.  I am not looking forward to that but I know it is my only option!

The treatment itself was easy.  Many thanks to neighbor and friend, Jen Kelly, for taking the kids all afternoon and feeding them (and me) dinner! (School was still closed due to the storm.) Thanks also to neighbor, friend and 4 year breast cancer survivor Carrie for taking me to chemo and hanging out with me for the day. We chatted the whole time so it made it go by really quickly,  They cut my benadryl in half so I did not sleep the whole time.  It still made me feel a little woozy. 

27 more days until my last chemo!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Amanda! You've got this! And, as usual, you do it with dignity and so much smarts.

    ReplyDelete