Saturday, June 4, 2011

Swap-out surgery

We set off for the hospital at about 8:15am because I had to be there at 9am. Traffic was kind of a nightmare so I was getting nervous about being late. Luckily, we arrived right at 9am. Of course I should not have been worried since things generally run late at MMH. They finally took me into pre-op around 9:30 9:45. I was in pre-op for almost 2 hours. Getting my IV put in was not pleasant. He tried the left side first but it did not work so he had to switch to the right. I have a nice looking bruise on the left since he fished around a bit trying to get the needle in.

Craig was able to come in and keep me company for about an hour, which was nice. Finally around 11:30 the OR team started arriving - the OR nurse, the anesthesiologist (Dr. M) and my plastic surgeon (Dr. G). Dr. M and I had a little chat about anti-nausea meds in with the anesthesia due to my terrible experience in March. He thinks my nausea was due more to the pain medication since I did not get sick until the morning after the surgery. He promised to load me up with anti-nausea meds during the surgery and so far so good. Dr. G was very happy I had Dr. M as he is Dr. G's favorite anesthesiologist. In fact Dr. M is who Dr. G would choose to be his anesthesiologist. That made me quite happy.

Dr. G, Craig and I talked about the surgery and how I wanted to look and be size-wise. He had pictures of my pre-mastectomy breasts, which were kind of weird to see. I had not realized how droopy I was after breast-feeding 2 kids. Once I am all healed and the scars fade I will look different and better. The one benefit of this whole mess!!

At 11:45, i headed for the OR, about 45 minutes late. Better than last time when I was 2.5 hours late! They got me on the operating table and next thing I knew it was 2:45 and I was in recovery! I was sore but the pain was not unbearable. I guess I had already had a very coherent conversation with Dr. Gin recovery but I have no memory of it!!! I had the shakes for little while which was annoying but they bundled me up with warm blankets and they finally went a way.

At about 3:30 they moved me over to second stage recovery and got me sitting up in a chair. I got to have some juice and Graham crackers which hit the spot since I had not eaten all day! Towards the end of my time in the first recovery room, I started feeling like my hands were both asleep. I told the nurse in second stage recovery and she was a bit concerned about it. She initially thought my bandages were too tight but that did not seem to be the issue. She called Dr. G who was in the OR with my breast surgeon doing a mastectomy and reconstruction on a woman similar in age to me. Dr. G was not at all worried. For the surgery my hands were stretched our straight to my sides. He even had me sitting up for a while. I think he brought in a few different implants to try for size and volume. He expected that the feeling could last for a few days and not to worry. (the feeling is gone as of Saturday morning.)

After a little while they brought Craig and his Dad in. It was nice to see them. Ray left a 4:45 to get the kids at school. Craig and set off a little after 5pm. We were home just before 6pm.

I hung out in the recliner for the evening, being waited on hand and foot. I did have to keep reminding Craig about the whole "in sickness and in health" clause in our wedding vows. :). The pain is not too bad. Since my breasts are numb, they don't hurt at all. As part of the procedure took some fat from my belly to inject above my breast to create a better transition from my upper chest to the breast. (I told him to take as much fat as he wanted even if he threw some away! I can't tell if he did since everything is swollen.). My belly button area and where he injected the fat are quite sore. I need to be careful not to apply pressure to the injection are. Dr. G literally wrote "no pressure" across this area in black magic marker! I chuckle when I sneak a peak under my tube top bandage and saw the words.

All in all, the surgery went great! I am sore and tired but not nauseous. I also don't have ant drains this time so I hope to be back on my feet by the middle part of next week. Dr g called last night at about 8:00 and was very impressed by how good I sounded. I think was expecting worse given how I was after the mastectomy, which was 3 months ago today!

4 comments:

  1. this post made me laugh SEVERAL times. glad i'm finally laughing when reading this blog. love and love and love.

    here's to a nice rack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the no pressure "tattoo"! I hope your recovery is super speedy and that you're back on your feet in no time. HOORAY for another big step towards moving on with real life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your nice silver lining! So glad all went well. Lots of love. XO, K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I am so thrilled (but not the least bit surprised) to hear that you are doing so fantastically! You are such a champ, and really should be proud of yourself for handling all of this with such strength, dignity & humor. I hope your recovery continues to be road-bump free and that you can enjoy your Summer just as you planned. You are in my thoughts and prayer everyday, nonetheless.

    Take care!!
    Tricia ;)

    ReplyDelete