Saturday, March 21, 2015

Chemo Recovery

I feel like I am slowly recovering from what chemo has done to my body.  I am able to get through the day without napping and can get all my stuff around the house/errands done without issue but I am still more tired than normal and have the shortness of breath (which seemed to have gotten better but it now back).

I had a follow up appointment with my medical oncologist yesterday and they took blood to check all my counts.  The hemoglobin continues to be low, which is why I am short of breath.  Usually, this is caused by low iron, but it turns out my iron is totally fine, great in fact.  The doctor was a bit surprised given my vegan diet.  (Go spinach and beans!!!)    So, the low hemoglobin (and white blood cells) is just due to the chemo ravaging my bone marrow.  The 2 courses of action are (1) wait and let the counts come back over the next few months or (2) get a blood transfusion to kick start the recovery.   On Thursday, I'll have a blood transfusion.  I just don't want to wait months to feel better.  I had to run down the street because the dog was getting into someone in the neighbors yard and I thought I was going to have a heart attack!  Hopefully this helps.

On Thursday, I will also get my first Lupron shot. Lupron is what will shut down my ovaries. I will get the shot on a monthly basis.  Many women get it quarterly but my doctor when back to the studies looking at its effectiveness and in the study, the shots were given monthly.  She wants to follow the study for me.  I need to have these shots for the next 5 years (at least) so this might push me to having my 1 functioning ovary removed. We'll see. I'm not rushing into that decision.  I will then start the Letrozole (known as Femara) pill in May.  This is what will prevent the cancer from coming back by preventing the production of estrogen in my body from sources other than the ovaries. (It can't handle estrogen produced by the ovaries which is why we need to shut those down.)   The side effects between both are sweating, headaches, fatigue, hot flashes and joint pain.  Sounds fun, right?

Radiation is going fine. No side effects yet but the doctor expects the skin reaction (sunburn) to kick in soon.  There is also fatigue but I am already tired from chemo so I don't think it will get much worse.

I am trying to get myself back into an exercise routine.  I never was particularly flexible but I guess the PiYo (Pilates/yoga) I did last year had an effect because I definitely can't do as much now as I could then.  I am going to a Yoga class at the hospital today that is specifically for breast patients.  I am excited to get back into a routine!

1 comment: