Monday, March 2, 2015

Port eviction date TOMORROW






Tomorrow, that ugly bump in my chest will be removed, hopefully giving me plenty of time for the scar to fade before bathing suit season and our HAWAII trip (which starts in 3 months and 18 days).   At the end of the day, I am very thankful to have had the port as it did make chemo much easier and my veins are still in great shape.  Julie, Craig and others... you were right!   It is important for my veins to still be good since after radiation I will only be able to have blood drawn from my left arm.  More on that in a later post...   Other than a few weeks in January, when the port really bothered me (it kind of burned), I have hardly noticed its presence.  Well, except for when I get dressed every day.  Only certain tops cover it up so I have to be careful about what I wear because no one wants to see my ugly port!

The procedure to remove it is quite simple.  It will only take about 10 minutes and will be done under local anesthesia. I am a bit freaked out about being awake for the removal but I am finding the anesthesia hangover lasts longer and longer each time I have it, so happy to avoid it.    I can eat in the morning and drive myself to and from the procedure.  Say a little prayer it goes smoothly!

I am very happy that my oncologist feels confident that I won't need the port anymore and can have it removed before radiation starts!

3 comments:

  1. Hope everything went well today. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you feeling now? Hope it went smoothly and that you're feeling a bit of relief from that bothersome port! One more step closer to HAWAII!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. only you could look so beautiful. genuinely beautiful. not just like when i was pregnant and people were all, "you look great for a pregnant person!" but so beautiful. miss your smiling face.

    ReplyDelete