Thursday, March 12, 2015

Radiation

About 2 weeks ago, Mom and I went to meet with Dr. Lingos, my radiation oncologist to discuss and plan for my radiation treatments.  I had met with her last October and got "mapped" for radiation, as we thought I would not be having chemo.   The mapping involved giving me 4 small blue tattoos, which helps them get you lined up to deliver the radiation.  Luckily, they were able to re-use those tattoos. 

The biggest item for discussion with Dr. Lingos was whether or not we also radiate the lymph nodes (in addition to the breast).   We had planned to do this when chemo wasn't happening to be as aggressive as possible, but since I ended up having chemo, I was hoping to avoid.   Radiating the nodes puts me at higher risk for an incredibly uncomfortable condition called lymphedema.   We discussed and Dr. Lingos believes we definitely should radiate them since my case has not followed the norm and we should continue to be aggressive.  So, we are radiating the nodes...

Other than lymphedema, my big fear with radiation is that the right implant gets messed up and I need surgery (or surgeries) in the future to fix it.   Radiation will tighten the skin in that area, which can cause the implant to become mishapen/harden.   As of now, I have one of the best reconstructions most of my doctors have ever seen (they have ALL commented on it... Thank you Dr. Glatt).   There is not much I can really do to prevent an issue, so I am trying not to worry about it.    Dr. Lingos did recommend massaging the implant and moving it around, so I'll try and remember do that daily.   Whatever happens, happens at this point.

Yesterday, I went to the Cancer Center for my "dry run."  Basically, they showed me around and got me into the radiation machine and positioned me to take some pictures.   Luckily, the treatment only takes about 10 minutes because it is not the most comfortable position to be in - lying on my back with my hands above my head.  I feel like my right hand immediately falls asleep when I get it into position!  The first treatment was today and was easy.  Not sure how long before my skins starts to react (it will get red/sunburned and blister).  The other side effect will be fatigue, but I am already tired from the chemo.   One down, 27 to 32 to go.  (Dr. Lingos hasn't decided if I'll have 28 or 33 treatments in total.)

As for other chemo side effects, I still have the neuropathy in my fingers and toes.  It is annoying but not too terribly uncomfortable.  Just imagine feeling like your extremities are falling asleep all the time.  I am hoping the sensation will dull with time and does not become permanent!

1 comment:

  1. My experience with radiation was that the skin became irritated gradually. They gave me a cream to apply liberally every day, which kept the soreness and the peeling to a bare minimum. The fatigue crept up on me, frankly -- it wasn't till the last couple of weeks that I really noticed anything.

    We're all still pulling for you!
    Kara

    ReplyDelete