This morning, Mom and I headed over to the hospital so I could (1) have a quart of blood taken for various tests, (2) pick up my "Welcome to the World of Cancer" packet and (3) sign some paperwork to get the BRCA testing sent to the lab. I swear they took 7 vials of blood at the hospital lab. I am not a big fan of needles, which does not bode well for me but it was not that bad. I just cannot watch.
I picked up my cancer packet from Renee, the Nurse Navigator in the Breast Center who spent a bunch of time with me on Monday morning. The packet includes information about cancer in general and breast cancer specifically and programs/support groups/classes at the hospital for people undergoing treatment and their families. I have lots of reading materials to keep me busy. The amount of research and reading I want to do is a bit overwhelming since I am trying to work and I cannot read anything around the kids but I will find the time! Raymond is quite the reader now which is GREAT but I don't need him to ask me "Mommy, why are you reading "Living Through Breast Cancer"?" We still need to figure out how and what to tell him about all this. Luckily the hospital has a Child Life Specialist whom I will be calling tomorrow to get some advice.
I hope you've given some thought to disengaging from work really soon. I know it can be a valuable distraction but as you are seeing, this is a full time job in itself and you do need to get some reading done while Raymond is at school before you go in for surgery. Give yourself the value of the time you need to read up and prepare your house and family for what's to come so you won't feel rushed and overwhelmed. xoxo
ReplyDelete