Monday, January 24, 2011

Cancer is a full time job!

I went to work today, mainly because I did not want to be home alone all day without any in-person adult interaction and distractions.    It has been nice to be out of the house, but I don't find myself getting much work done between calls to and from the hospital and various doctor's offices.   I guess the day has been productive from a personal perspective:
  • Got my official schedule of events for this Wednesday's CT scan and bone scan.   I need to drink some stuff and get an injection and travel back and forth between the hospital and a building across the street.  I am now clear on where I need to be and when. 
  • Set up a meeting with the Child Life Specialist at Morristown Memorial Hospital for next week to seek out some advice on how we talk to Raymond about what is going on.
  • Scheduled an appointment for a second opinion with a surgeon at the Memoral Sloan-Kettering location in Basking Ridge, NJ, which will be next Thursday.
  • Ordered copies of films, slides and reports from Morristown for the second opinion consult.
  • Asked my friend Julie, a breast cancer survivor who went through surgery and started treatment about 18 months ago a bunch of the questions I wrote down for her over the weekend.
  • Have not cried once (although I was close when telling a work friend about my diagnosis)
Overall, I am feeling okay emotionally and physically.  I started peeling off the bandages from the biospy over the weekend and the sites are still sore but I can comfortably sleep on my stomach again, which is nice.  My emotions are a minute by minute thing.  I am glad to be at work so I cannot focus on the bad thoughts.  I even can go a few minutes or an hour forgetting about the cancer.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us. You're going to win this one. Cancer has never had such a well-organized opponent!

    Good luck with the scans tomorrow.

    Cheers,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. And good luck tomorrow ...

    Thinking of you.

    XX L

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are far more productive than me at work! Thinking of you often - micah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I cannot come down tomorrow to keep you company or next Thursday but I could come down Friday of this week and any day next week except Monday or Thursday if you have anything scheduled and want someone to go to some of the meetings etc with you. Please let me know, I would love to do it. ALSO, banish those bad thoughts, put up a stop sign when they come, throw "angry birds" at them, YOU are going to be fine. LOVE, PAtty

    ReplyDelete
  5. A:
    I will be thinking of you tomorrow; it's become kind of a habit lately. Try to chillax during the scans and maybe ask if they can add a little Grey Goose to your pre-scan cocktail. Can't hurt. Love and GTC!!
    CST

    ReplyDelete
  6. A,
    Cancer has no idea what's in store for it...it had better start running! I will be thinking about you a lot tomorrow and sending positive vibes your way for a clear body scan.
    hugs, Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck today, Amanda! Lots of love to you!! Hugs!
    Love,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking about you today and sending clear scan thoughts! I agree with the other ladies, cancer has picked the wrong woman to mess with! :)
    Love, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep the questions coming -- any time day or night.

    ReplyDelete