Monday, April 4, 2011

CONFIRMED - No chemo!!!!

I spoke to my oncologist about 30 minutes ago and she confirmed that I do not need chemotherapy!   My recurrence rate would only decrease from 5% to 4% - so the "costs" of chemo (side effects, toll on my body, etc.) far outweigh that benefit.    So now, I need to schedule an appointment with her to talk about starting Tamoxifen and what my future monitoring plan is.  

Craig and I celebrated on Friday night - I had 2 Miller Lites and could definitely feel their effects!   I have always been a lightweight, but more so now since I have barely had anything to drink for 6 weeks.   I cried pretty much every time I told anyone about the "no chemo" this weekend - tears of joy and relief and thanks.

Hard to believe that 1 month ago right now I was arriving at the hospital for my surgery, which would not start for 6 more hours!    I feel pretty good.  My arm mobility is coming back.    It seems much better today than yesterday - the power of Monday!    I think most of my discomfort is expander related.    I'll get rid of those at the end of May, hopefully.    They can be swapped out 6 weeks after my last expansion which hopefully is next Wednesday.

15 comments:

  1. Bravo bravo bravo bravo bravo. The best news in forever. What a gift at this point.
    XX Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, I also had an oncotype test done on my tumor and no chemo. Thankful that this test is now avaliable...chemo no longer a given for early tumors...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it is now official. I am so, so thrilled for you, Amanda!

    Tricia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. has it really been one month?!

    NO CHEMO CONFIRMED!!! best news ever. I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear that no chemo is confirmed!!! We'll have to celebrate and build up your tolerance one night soon...ladies night out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! Now get to work on that tolerance. I recommend the occasional Gin and Tonic to supplement the Miller Lite. Summer is coming...

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with Kara; you can celebrate a baseball game (if it's little league) with Miller Lite. Or maybe crack open a cold one when the mailman comes to visit. But didn't you get an Ipad for having cancer? Do you know what you get for NOT having cancer? THE TAJ MAHAL (with a bottle of Cristal on top)! Woop Woop!

    Carpe Diem, Amanda.
    XO,
    CST

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful news for you, Amanda. A good bottle of Sangiovese will also help build up your tolerance!

    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is incredibly wonderful news and it is making me perpetually smile. Congrats Amanda. There is definitely a need for some serious celebrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea, yea, yea!!! So glad for you!! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. There aren't enough words to say how amazing this news is! Not enough words....and I usually have a lot to say :)

    Is there anything you can't do? Wanna toe wrestle? Or hmmmmmmm........hell, let's just have a drink and think of things to "kick ass" in as each new drink comes!

    You know I think I love you....in a straight and completely plutonic kind of way ;) But I agree with the above.....this is a reason to get ass over heals wasted over some sparkling wine!

    Love ya and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You hope for the best and plan for the worst and you got the BEST! YES! I cannot tell you how happy I am for you. Another huge step down in the process...what a relief this must be for you. I only wish I was there to high (or low) five you in person!! Once you get things figured out and life returns to a bit more normal, I need to come visit!

    love, Judi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome news! You might have the shortest breast cancer blog out there--what an awesome thing!!! I'm so happy for you and your family even though we've never met.

    I know you will sleep well after such fantastic news!

    ReplyDelete