She wrote my prescription for Tamoxifen which can have the following side effects:
- hot flashes
- vaginal discharge
- vaginal irritation/dryness
- mood swings, which can lead to depression - Craig is in charge of looking out for this one because I won't even realize it. I already have mood swings according to Craig, so he has a hard job! ;)
- weight gain, up to 10 lbs - SO not happy about this one after my recent 20 lb weight loss, esp because I have put a few pounds on in the last few weeks. I need to get back to watching what I eat and stop snacking. That will get easier when I am back at work and not home all day!
- blood clots and stroke - less than 1% chance of this
- uterine lining issues which could lead to uterine cancer - less than 1% chance of this
Whatever side effects I will have should start at the 3-6 month mark. I'll see her in 8 weeks for my first follow-up appointment. She did examine me yesterday and says everything looks good and I am healing well. She might send me for some physical therapy after I get my implants to make sure I get all my range of motion back in my shoulder area. It has gotten way better but I am still stiff.
In case you are curious about Tamoxifen and how it works... it is a SERM or Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator. My specific type of cancer cells have a protein to which estrogen will bind and cause the cell to replicate. The Tamoxifen will bind to these receptors but not allow them to replicate. There is not room for estrogen to bind to the cells with the Tamoxifen there. Therefore, the cancer cells are eventually killed off by my immune system. I will likely take it for at least 5 years but there are other drugs I might switch to which we will discuss later.
We quickly discussed whether or not I should have my ovaries removed. She wants to wait before doing anything about my ovaries since ovary removal causes sudden and rather harsh menopause. I am okay with avoiding that for now.
For now, she said to get back to living my life and to do the following:
- eat a diet low in fat (which I generally do)
- get some exercise (which I need to be better about)
- try to live a lower stress life (which I also need to be better about)
- get an annual physical (which I always do, except for our 3 years in Finland)
So, for now, I consider myself to have won the cancer lottery. My cancer was very non-aggressive and was caught very early. Yes, I still had cancer and had to face all the uncertainty and worry up front but now I can get back to living life. There will always be that worry in the back of my mind about recurrence but I will do my best to keep that voice quiet and far away!
Tomorrow, I have my hopefully final expansion with the plastic surgeon. Wish me luck as I am hoping not to repeat my performance at the first expansion three weeks ago!
Wow - that is quite a lot to deal with, but sounds like you are on the good road now. There are also the things I need to be better with (same as yours) and I hope that you will inspire others to do the same...you sure have for me. So pleased to hear that things are at least starting to get back to some semblance of normal! love, Judi
ReplyDelete