In my calendar for today was my 6 month check up with my oncologist at Newton Wellesley. Obviously the whole "6 month checkup" is moot, but based on a discussion with Dr. Block a few weeks ago, we decided to keep the appointment to talk about where we are from a treatment perspective. Dr. Block was on vacation October 1-20. I was eager to talk to her about our meeting with Dana-Farber last week to see if Newton Wellesley's position on chemo had changed.
Last night at about 10pm, I realized that I had not gotten a call confirming the appointment and it was not showing up in the hospital's Patient Gateway. I decided to just call and confirm before we made the 40 minute drive in the rain and it is a good thing I did. When they squeezed me in back in September when I was first diagnosed, Dr. Block's office cancelled the appointment for today but no one told me. I am NOT HAPPY and neither is Craig, who stayed home from work to come with me. This is the 3rd thing that office has done to annoy me in the last few weeks. (The first 2 relate to taking DAYS to get back to me with answers to relatively simple questions. In fact, one of those questions I called about last Thursday and I STILL don't have an answer.)
I am already doing radiation at Dana-Farber in Milford and have been thinking that it might make sense to do chemo there too (assuming I need it.) It is 15 minutes away and it is Dana-freaking-Farber, the 4th best cancer hospital in the US according to US News & World Report. Based on these latest developments at Newton Wellesley, it seems to make the most sense to change everything over. I really like Dr. Block but I don't need frustration and admin annoyance right now.
Vent over...
On a positive note on Monday, I saw a nurse practitioner at the Breast Center at Newton Wellesley (that place seems to have its act together) and she says I am healing great from the surgery.
I feel your frustration! Recovering is hard enough. Waiting for clarity on your course of action multiplies the difficulty! Dealing with logistical challenges in addition could put a girl over the top! But not THIS girl! You are ONE TOUGH COOKIE. Eye on the prize, sweet cousin! YOU ROCK!!!!
ReplyDeletexo
CST