This morning, I got a call from the oncologist covering for my vacationing oncologist. She had reached out to Dr. Winer at Dana-Farber via email last Friday to present my case and get his thoughts. After going back and forth with him, he asked to get my tumor slides so Dana Farber can run their own pathology on it and he'd like to meet with me in person. So, now I am waiting for his office to call me to schedule an appointment. So... much... waiting. I really wish I were a more patient person!
We chose Dr. Winer for this consult because he came highly recommended by 2 women I went to Holy Cross with, Darby and Kathy. We lived on the same hall my freshman and their sophomore year. Kathy was diagnosed in her late 30s and Darby at 40. Really odd that we have this in common. I am SURE our diagnoses has nothing to do with living on the same hall... It is just a crazy coincidence. A really crappy coincidence. Kathy is doing well. Darby lost her battle 1 month ago, on the day I found out I needed to have the ultrasound and biopsy (which also happened to be Craig's 40th birthday). I have heard to many great things about Dr. Winer as both a doctor and a person. He is chief of the Division of Women's Cancers and director of the Breast
Oncology Program in the Susan F. Smith Center for Women's Cancers at Dana-Farber. The doctors keep talking about how I am a unique case since this recurrence "was not supposed to happen while on Tamoxifen." I really would prefer to be the boring cancer case. At least I know that I have really amazing doctors considering my case to come up with the best possible outcome!
Hang in there. And don't be hard on yourself about whether you are a patient enough patient. The waiting always sucks! Radiation isn't too bad, really. Just follow the instructions for the burn cream religiously and you will be fine. I had hardly any peeling, which is pretty remarkable. And be ready to be noticeably tired in the last couple of weeks and the couple of weeks after you finish.
ReplyDeleteI have every available appendage crossed that chemo will not be on the schedule for you...
Cheers,
Kara