Yesterday, I had my 3rd chemo treatment. Before the treatment, I met with the doctor and we talked about how I tolerated #2. We'll stick with the steroid and Alleve, which seemed to help with the nausea and Neulasta induced bone pain. Given how exhausted I was this past cycle (and had some pretty uncomfortable digestive tract issues early in the cycle), I am going to go in for some IV fluids this Thursday and potentially again next week just before Christmas. I know I am not drinking as much as a should be but I am struggling with it. Things either have no taste or now I have this metallic taste in my mouth so I am doing the best that I can.
Most of my blood counts are ok but I am becoming more anemic. This does not surprise me, as I have often had issues with this. When I was pregnant with both kids, I was on iron supplements. If the number gets too low, I might need a blood transfusion which does not thrill me so I need to start upping my iron rich food consumption. I found some "Raisin Bran" at Whole Foods that is iron fortified so I will start with that.
For those of you that are local and I see, please let me know if anyone in your family is battling any sort of virus (stomach, upper respiratory, etc.) as I really need to steer clear of sick people with my counts on the low end. I guess there is a nasty upper respiratory thing going around Milford Hospital so they are on high alert at the cancer center. I would like to not be a total hermit this winter but I need to be careful about what I am exposed to. (And don't be offended if I ask you to use hand sanitizer in my presence. I have made my CCD class obsessed with the stuff!)
I felt good after the treatment last night until about 4:30pm when I totally hit a wall. I took a short power nap on the couch which helped a little but not enough so I headed up to my room before 6pm. Thankfully my Dad is here this week, so he got the kids fed and up to bed (although I did have to mediate yet another silly bedtime argument between the kids). I dozed off and on until about 9:30 and then went to bed for good. I think I mostly slept through until Craig's alarm went off at 6am. That is a really good night's sleep for me. Usually I wake up before 4am and 5am and don't really fall fully back to sleep.
So, now we see what today brings from a side effects perspective!
Thinking of you. I received your Christmas card today which was absolutely adorable! To find time to make them while you are going through shows how amazing you are :-) Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and you need to feel good soon so you can plan to bring the family back to NJ for a visit.
ReplyDeleteAgree. Loved your card.
ReplyDelete