We met with Dr. Tillman today, a Mass General radiation oncologist who works out of the Vernon Cancer Center at Newton-Wellesley Hospital. I will not have my radiation done at NWH since Dana-Farber has a radiation location about 15 minutes from my house. Since the radiation will be 5 days a week for 6 weeks, they recommend going to the most convenient location (and you can't go wrong with Dana-Farber as your "alternative" location).
Dr. Tillman did an exam and based on her assessment, I should be able to have the radiation without having to remove either implant. The radiation beams come at you from both sides of your body, so some women have to have the implant in the non-cancer side removed in order for the beams to hit their intended target. So this was more good news. We need to confirm with the doctor at Dana-Farber. Dr. Tillman is contacting them directly. So it looks like I'll have relatively "simple" surgery (maybe next Thursday), a 4-6 week break and then 6 weeks of radiation (assuming chemo stays off the table). Hopefully all this nonsense will be wrapped up by Christmas!
PS Thanks to whichever neighbor dragged the trash can up to my garage!
Keeping fingers crossed and saying prayers to ensure the good news keeps on coming. I like your tagline of "simple" surgery - this is why I maintain you are the strongest lady I know!! :)
ReplyDelete