One of my awesome neighbors drove me over to the hospital for my PET Scan. I had read online that a Xanax (anti-anxiety med) might be good to calm my nerves but I did not want to drive after taking it. I am sure I will say this MANY times during this journey, but I have really been overwhelmed by all the offers of help from near and far. I know the family and I will be well taken care of!
My stomach growled all morning so I was eager to get the test done. Last night I had celery with unsweetened peanut butter and broccoli for dinner. YUM!
The tech, Karl, took me in ahead of my scheduled time since I was at the hospital super early. (At first I thought the tech's name was Kari, which is the name of one of my BFFs in Finland so I instantly felt her presence here. I love when that stuff happens.). Karl took my blood sugar to make sure it was where it needed to be and then injected me with radioactive glucose. (Basically the glucose will bind to potentially cancer areas and light up on the scan. They don't want you to have glucose from food coursing through your body, so hence the dietary restrictions.). I had to rest for 45 min to let the glucose go through my body but luckily I was able to listen to music and I just closed my eyes and rested. It was kind of nice! I chose Enya for my music as it reminds me of my honeymoon. I listened to her over and over again on the plane ride from LA to French Polynesia. Takes me back to an incredibly happy and peaceful time!
After 45 min, Karl took me into the room where the scan was happening. I laid down on the table and just chilled out for about 28 minutes. The tube is bigger than an MRI so not claustrophobic for me at all. Just had to lay still and of course, everything starts to itch! It went by fast and I was able to eat right away. I had gone Apple picking yesterday with Emily and our good friends across the street and had brought one of the yummy apples with me. Then I got a huge coffee - luckily they had soy milk at the coffee shop in the hospital. Now I'll get something a little more substantial in the cafeteria and wait for Craig to get here for appointment with breast surgeon. I should have PET results tomorrow!
Good to hear that the PET scan went well. We'll pray for good results.
ReplyDelete