Sunday, September 21, 2014

PET Scan preparation

Tomorrow at 12pm, I will have a PET Scan to make sure the cancer had not decided to take up residence in other parts of my body. This is standard protocol and my oncologist is confident nothing will be found.  Since the appointment got scheduled so late, I have not received much in the way of instructions from Newton-Wellesley Hospital as to how to prepare other than "no carbs or sugar for 24 hours before and nothing but water for 6 hours before."   Not really being sure "no carbs or sugar"  means, I headed to the internet. 

The best information I could find was for an imaging center in Anchorage, Alaska (random).   I can eat the following:
  1. Meats: beef, chicken, lamb, pork, seafood, tofu
  2. Eggs, cheese, unsweetened peanut butter, nuts
  3. Butters, margarine, mayonnaise, vinegar, oil
  4. Vegetables (non-starchy): broccoli, asparagus, spinach, green beans, cauliflower, zucchini, lettuce, mushrooms, bell peppers, celery
As many of you know, I went vegan/plant-based about 2 years ago so NO meats, cheese, dairy, etc. which basically is the bulk of this list!   So I am going to gorge on carbs until 12pm and then eat vegetables and nuts for the rest of the day.   Sounds fun!  I think I'll be pretty cranky by the time the test goes around and will rush to the hospital cafeteria after for some real food (since I have to stay at the hospital until 3pm for the appointment with the breast surgeon).   This should be a fun 24 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment