Because the news was so positive at the appointment with Dr. Block, we decided to tell the kids on Friday after school. I don't want to be hiding appointments from them. My surgeon appointment on Monday is at 3pm so I already know I am going to have to find someone to get them off the bus.
We told them the basics:
- Mommy had breast cancer 3 years ago and now it is back
- Doctor's have a plan in place to treat it and I will do everything they tell me to do
- I'll have surgery and radiation which might make me a little tired
- Hopefully I won't have to have chemo (Emily was horrified when I told her it would make my hair fall out and said she does not want me having chemo)
- It should be all wrapped up by the end of the year
They both asked a few questions but seemed ok with the whole thing. They ran off to see the new puppy our neighbors brought home yesterday. Emily walked in and announced to the mom, "My Mom has cancer." Luckily that Mom already knew what was going on! I am not at all surprised about Emily's openness. I totally expected it.
Dear Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear that you are facing this again. Disheartening though this news is, I'm relieved that it's been detected early, and we will all be hoping to get the news that chemo is off the table.
We're all with you in spirit, if not in person! Much love and many hugs to you and Craig and the kids.
Love,
Kara