Yesterday, I had a "power port" put in to make chemo easier. At this point, a lot of people have told me how this will make my life so much easier so I am mostly happy with the decision to get one (not that I really had a choice). Mom and I headed to the hospital (for what was my 8th surgery in the last 9 years after no surgeries for my first 32 years) a little before 7am. Once again, my neighbor/friend Jen took the kids in, fed them breakfast and got them on the bus. Not sure what I would do without all these amazing women who have become such great friends in the year we have lived in Hopkinton!
Day Surgery was hopping when we arrived but luckily things ran pretty close to schedule (only about 30 minutes late). My pre-op nurse, Alicia was super nice. She got me all settled. Before surgery I met with the anesthesia doctor who told me, in the unlikely event that I woke up during the surgery, that I should not move. That was a bit unsettling but I told her I would do my best not to move. The surgeon's physician's assistant, Chris, also came to see me. He did a quick ultrasound of the surgical area to make sure everything looked good. He told me since I am so thin he could perfectly see my veins and the valves (or something like that) inside of them and that they looked "perfect." (After so many years of being overweight, I still smile when a doctor tells me I am thin.) Both Chris and Alicia asked me who my oncologist was and when I told them it was Dr. Sinclair, they both had GREAT things to say about her. I am still a little concerned about the fact that I won't meet her until Tuesday morning so all these glowing reviews from others are putting my mind at ease.
They wheeled me into the operating room. I remember Chris standing next to me and then I was out until I woke up back in the Day Surgery unit. Before I became completely coherent, Mom and I were chatting but I don't remember what we talked about. Gotta love anesthesia. They did a quick chest x-ray to make sure the port was placed properly and then sent me on my way.
Chris had told me people likened the post-surgery feeling to being punched in the chest. I guess I would agree with that only it felt like five 300lb linebackers had punched me! I was pretty uncomfortable yesterday anytime I moved so I lay in bed for the rest of the day taking percocet every 4 hours. That made me so tired and loopy! I slept okay. It was so great to finally have Craig home. He had been away for work for most of the last week and a half and I really missed him.
Today, I made myself get out of bed and that has helped a lot. I even went for a walk with Craig and Tuukka. Although it is COLD outside, the fresh air and movement has done me a lot of good. Mom, Emily and I were supposed to go get my wig styled this morning, but I decided to reschedule since I am not up for driving yet.
All in all, am glad the port surgery is done. Next up, chemo on Tuesday! Hopefully I am mostly healed from the surgery. People sometimes get the port installed and go right to chemo. I cannot even imagine doing that! I am glad I have 3 days to heal.
No comments:
Post a Comment