Saturday, November 15, 2014

Blog post from another blogger about what friends with cancer want you to know

This post resonated with me. Please take a read through it.

http://roadkillgoldfish.com/friends-cancer-want-know/

I would add the following:
  1. I am embarking on a long treatment road that won't be over until at least next May. Keep checking in with me throughout and after because this cancer stuff never really ends once you have been diagnosed one time, let alone two times at a young age.
  2. Make me laugh. Send me funny pictures, stories, memes, emails, cute stories about your kids etc. 
  3. Don't be offended if I don't respond to every email but do know I read every one and more importantly, appreciate every one. 
  4. Don't assume you know what I might need or want.  Ask me first. I have a hard time saying no even if someone is offering something that won't be totally helpful. 
  5. If you are dropping something off at the house, please text first to see if I am up for visitors or just drop whatever it is off without ringing the doorbell.

8 comments:

  1. I know it's not cute or funny, but is it OK to complain about Finnish winters?

    And I'm not there to drop a casserole at your door, but are there any favorite things you would like from Finland? Because I am thinking of you, but I want you to have physical reminders of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. By all means complain about the winter because those Finnish winters are awful. Anytime anyone in the US asks me what it is like, I cannot even put the suckiness into words. ;)

      I'm always a sucker for anything Marimekko or Iittala and the Fazer gingerbread chocolate! Of course, no need to send me anything. I still have and wear the necklace you and Kari sent me last time and it always makes me smile and think of you both when I put it on. One of these years we WILL pull off a weekend in London or Paris!

      Delete
    2. Well, I do keep a perspective: there's sucky winters, and then there's chemo. Nuff said.
      I was so happy to see you wearing your necklace here in Finland. And it was given in lots of love.
      And there is more coming. Power and love.

      Delete
    3. I would take a million Finnish winters over this cancer crap! ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to assume some ;) so I apologize in advance for any care package items you don't need or want hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this - definitely resonated with me as well. And because I never say it, I am thankful that we are friends and hoping to do whatever little things I can do to help you get through this!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete