Earlier this week, I received a Thanksgiving card from Evelyn, one of my mother's closest friends. (She is also known for the "Supergirl socks.") Throughout high school and beyond, for as long as my Mom still lived in NY, we spent Thanksgiving (and a few Christmases) at Evelyn's house. I always marveled at all that went into putting Thanksgiving dinner on the table and thought I'd never be able to do it myself someday. (I must say, I do now put on quite the Thanksgiving feast myself, for both meat and non-meat eaters! I often include brussel sprouts, one of Evelyn's specialties, which I REFUSED to eat at the time.) We always had such a nice time with Evelyn and her family, especially her Mom, Helen. Helen was a grandmother figure to me as neither of mine were alive at this point. She always had such wise advice to give and PROMISED me, when I was in the throes of my 20s thinking I'd NEVER meet Mr. Right, that he was out there. (She was right!) I've come to learn over the years and many moves we have had, how important these friends who are like family are in our lives.
Anyway, back to Evelyn's card. She wrote in it, "Even in the face of all the bad stuff you are enduring right now, there is sure so much in your wonderful life to be grateful, thankful for." How true is that??? Much needed perspective to help ground me when I am feeling especially sorry for myself over the coming months.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!
(On a medical note, I had my 8 day check-in with the nurse yesterday to check my blood counts. They are all low but not crazy low. We talked about some of my issues from the first round and talked about some meds that hopefully can help with future rounds. Still feeling closer to normal each day. My taste is definitely off, which stinks because not much tastes very good right now and I need to eat to rebuild my strength for the next round. I'm working on finding what tastes ok and fills me up!)
No comments:
Post a Comment