Monday, November 17, 2014

I heard Neulasta was expensive but HOLY CRAP!

I just got a call from the specialty pharmacy that will be filling my Neulasta prescription. This is a shot I will have the day after chemo to help boost my white blood cells.   This is administered via injection and luckily I have a neighbor who is a nurse who can give me the shot rather than me driving to the hospital to get it.   The pharmacy called today as I need to pay my portion of the cost and they needed a credit card number.  At this point, with all the bills we have already incurred, I am "only" paying coinsurance which is 10% of each bill (up to our maximum out of pocket cost for the year).   The coinsurance for ONE shot is $900 which means ONE shot is NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS.   Thank God for the insurance we have and the health savings account we have built up in my healthy years.

UPDATE:  The $9,000 was actually for two doses so each dose is "only" $4,500!

2 comments:

  1. What a bargain! Now you can have twice the fun for the very same $9K. I have to say though, being punched by linebackers and stuck by neighbors...is it possible you are hanging with the wrong crowd? Hang in there, my dear cousin. Sending lots of love and positive, healing, vibes your way. (and they had better be gentle with you when they find you)!
    XO,
    CST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cousin. I always know I can sic (sp?) the "Sheriff" on anyone who is mean to me. ;) xo

      Delete