How I faced breast cancer head on TWICE and kicked it to the curb, one step at a time (OSAAT)!!!
Friday, February 18, 2011
Book recommendations (available on Kindle)?
My Aunt Patty sent me an Amazon gift card to buy some fun stuff for my new iPad. (She is addicted to her iPad!) Anyway, I am looking for any book suggestions since I'll have some free time coming up in about 2 weeks. Something good and not too fluffy but definitely not involving anything overly sad or violent. (I was thinking the second book in the Stieg Larsson trilogy but I think that will be too violent for me at this point.) Any suggestions? It also has to be available through Kindle!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteYou have to check out the following site:
http://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/ipad/
Reviews of children's books developed specifically for the iPad. Some are incredible and engaging beyond words. JP (2.5 yr old) loves interacting with the two that I downloaded -- Tale of Peter Rabbit and Jack and the Beanstalk. Maddie (9 yrs) and Charlie (7 yrs) love them too.
I realize that this may counter your objective of finding good books that "YOU" can read as the kids will want to runaway with your iPad. Nevertheless, it will give you an opportunity for great quality time with your kiddos.
Best of luck in your pursuit!
Mike
A few of my favorite comfort reads:
ReplyDeleteJane Austen, Northanger Abbey
Louis de Bernieres, Corelli's Mandolin
C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
Ken Follett, The Pillars of the Earth
Richard Adams, Watership Down
Cheers,
Kara
My latest guilty pleasure was the Twilight series. I read it on my iPad through ibooks. It is silly enough that the violent parts aren't emotionally draining which is nice. The teen angst is quite entertaining too.
ReplyDeleteMy newest series is by Charlaine Harris (who wrote the true blood books) she has several other series, including one about an amateur detective named Lily Bard. Light and fun, with a little bit of depth and not much violence (and she always comes out on top!). Also reading
ReplyDelete"The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield which is excellent, and about to start "Cutting For Stone" which I don't know much about but I've heard it's great.
"Nurture Shock" is a great read with new research about children/parenting. Sounds kind of dull, but I promise you will find it so interesting.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I have been meaning to ask you- have you read "The Middle Place"? If not, I think you would love it and you certainly would be able to relate to the author.
Lindsay
"The Big Short" by Michael Lewis author of "The Blindside". It's about the financial mess we're in BUT reads like a novel....
ReplyDeleteWhile the Stieg Larssen novels have violence, it is more about the unfair approach to someone who is brilliant, but different. Loved all three.
ReplyDeleteIf you are at all into WWII history, try "Neptune's Inferno: The US Navy at Guadalcanal". It is facinating to read about how the Navy learned to adapt to the Japanese tactics.
Book recommendations? I've got tons of those! Mostly though while you are recovering I would suggest any book by Sarah Addison Allen - she wrote Garden Spells, Sugar Queen, The Girl Who Chased the Moon and the upcoming The Peach Keeper. She writes wonderful, magical, uplifting stories that are sure to bring a smile to your face!
ReplyDelete