Today, we met with the plastic surgeon, mainly for a Q&A session as he did not need to examine me again. We talked about the prep for the surgery, the surgery itself and some after surgery stuff. I LOVE my plastic surgeon. Not only is he an "artist" (according to the oncologist) but he is a genuinely nice person. He gets how hard this is for me and acknowledges that. He was not at all fazed by the fact that I might need radiation. Some plastic surgeon's might be because it makes the reconstruction a bit trickier. Craig mentioned that my oncologist quickly dismissed the potential for radiation and the plastic surgeon indicated that the oncologist is NOT quick to dismiss things so she must really think I won't need it. I liked the sound of that!
So, for overall timeline, assuming I don't need radiation, the tissue expander/implant swap out would happen 4-6 weeks after the end of chemo. I would then be restricted with lifting for another 4-6 weeks. Basically, I would have to do this after our planned Disney trip at the end of August because we can't really travel with 2 kids if I cannot lift anything, including carry-on luggage. Then, 6-12 weeks after that would be the final major phase of the reconstruction (creation of the right nipple). There might be tune-ups after that to get everything just right but hopefully not much too many.
Two weeks and 1 day from right now, the surgery should be DONE (or close to being done). I am totally freaked out by the surgery and recovery but am very much looking forward to not having cancer in my body anymore. I talked to a co-worker today who is currently in treatment for breast cancer. She had a sentinel node biopsy related to her lumpectomy and confirmed what I had heard about the injection of the radioactive dye - it is really painful. I debated not asking her because part of my did not want to know but I asked anyway. She said the pain does not last long but it does hurt a bunch. And I have to have the injection in both sides. It will just be the beginning of months of pain and discomfort. Cancer SUCKS!
I'm really sorry that you have to do the dye injection for the node biopsy. That's a bummer ;(
ReplyDelete