Saturday, February 12, 2011

OSAAT

After Thursday's craziness, my cousin Christine has reminded me of a mantra the her sister/my cousin Cathy tried to live by during her melanoma battle - OSAAT or "One Step at a Time."    I am not so good at this but vow to try and just focus on the surgery for now and leave most of the other stuff for after the surgery, when we have the full pathology and know more.   I know I won't be able to do this all the time, but feel free to remind me if I am getting a little ahead of myself!

On tap for this week:
  • Set up a meeting (that hopefully can happen this week) with the Oncology Social Worker at the hospital to get a better understanding of all the programs I have so I can get to a few mind/body programs before the surgery.
  • Call the local chapter of the American Cancer Society to see if they have any donated wigs available.
  • Meet with the plastic surgeon on Thursday for my pre-surgery appointment.
  • Get in touch with the mother at Raymond's elementary school that heads up a committee which provides meals to people who need some help in that department.  (The woman that heads up ths group is a breast cancer survivor.)  I think I'll see if they can bring meals twice per week for the month of March.   Some friends from PwC are also wanting to help so I might see if they can cover 1 night per week giving us 3 dinners per week before leftovers.  This will take some of the cooking burden off my Mom.
  • Call the surgeon to see if she has spoken to (1) the pathologist about the biopsy analysis they did of only 1 tumor and (2) the oncologist about implanting the port during my surgery.
I think that is enough for now!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, that is enough for now. AND, don't hesitate to enlist your friends to do some of the legwork for you. If you give someone a name and number they can make calls for you or if you want someone to call ACS about the wigs, ask someone else to do that...delegate and let friends and families do things for you since they want to be able to help. It helps them to feel useful as much as it is actually useful to you. Christine is wise and I'll try to remind you to take OSAAT too :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did so much for so many people while you were here in Helsinki. I wish so much there was some way to bring that goodness back to you now in the form of concrete, practical help. But under the circumstances I guess the best we can do is think good thoughts, cheer you on, miss you, and send you lots of ... chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, managing this cancer stuff is a full-time job in itself! Good thing you're good at making lists (and good thing you've now got an iPad!). :) I think that focusing on OSAAT is a realistic strategy so you don't make yourself too crazy with all the other steps and details.
    I'm with Liz in hoping that the help you've given others comes back to you. Can someone set up a lotsahelpinghands.com group for you like you did for Alyssa? We're thinking of you and wishing we could do more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OSAAT...truer words were never spoken. You are in the early steps now, but soon you will look back and see how far you have come. Take the advice of these smart women and ask for the help you need...not being alone is so important! HUGS! Judi

    ReplyDelete