Thursday, February 3, 2011

Second opinion, unofficial MRI results and surgery scheduled

Today we headed to Memorial Sloan-Kettering (MSK) for our second opinion appointment with a breast surgeon there who was recommended by a doctor colleague of our neighbor (who is a doctor himself).    If I did not like my current surgeon so much (who also comes highly recommended), I would definitely go with the MSK surgeon.   She was actually a bit similar to my current surgeon - very to the point in her opinions but in a caring way.   Although the MRI report is not yet available, she looked at the films I brought and shared the following:
  • There is another spot in my right breast that has not been biospsied that looks similar to the other cancerous spots. 
  • It does not appear that there is lymph node involvement but we won't know for certain until they do the sentinel node biopsy in the operating room.   I still consider this VERY good news.
  • There are 3 "nodules" in my left breast.   An MRI is super sensitive and often picks up other stuff that is not cancer.   There is a low likelihood that they are anything to worry about but there might be more biopsies in my future.  
Based on the fact that there are multiple cancerous spots in my right breast, she concurs that a mastectomy is my only option (versus lumpectomy).   Medically, she does not believe I need a double mastectomy (assuming, of course, that the 3 nodules in the left side are nothing).   The likelihood of my developing cancer in the left breast later is quite small but she understands when women do a double mastectomy for their peace of mind and/or cosmetic reasons.   She has given me some things to think about and discuss with my current surgeon.  

I got a call from the plastic surgeon's office today and my surgery has been scheduled for Friday, March 4.   It will begin sometime in the late afternoon (between 3pm and 5pm).   I am happy to have a date on my calendar to we can start planning but it makes it all just a little bit more real.

So now, we wait to get the official MRI report from Morristown Hospital and prepare for our appointments next Thursday with the surgeon and medical oncologist.  (On a side note, I mentioned to the MSK surgeon which oncologist we were seeing and got rave reviews.)   If I decide to move forward with the double mastectomy, I will ask that we avoid doing anymore biopsies.   The only reason to do it, in my opinion, is to potentially avoid having to remove and test any lymph nodes on the left side. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least you're getting consistent feedback and advice. That must make it a tiny bit easier to go ahead with the decisions -- not that the decisions are fun ones. Keep looking at those photos you posted a few days ago. You DO have the strength to get through this!

    Cheers,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete