Today was my last day in the office before surgery. I am taking a few days off next week in order to go to last minute appointments and to get our life in order (or as much as I can do so). And let's face it, I have not been exactly productive for the last 6 weeks!
I consider myself extremely lucky to work where I do. First of all, everyone both Craig and I work with have been incredibly understanding and accommodating to us. Craig has been at every appointment I have needed him to go to and he will be able to take time for and after my surgery. The group of people with whom I work most closely is a group of 9 - 8 women and 1 lone man (poor Patrick)! I am the third to be diagnosed with breast cancer in the last 2 years. One other tested positive for the BRCA genetic mutation and had an elective bilateral mastectomy last year. CRAZY! Needless to say, my group has been incredibly supportive and I leave work knowing they will cover for me as long as I need them to and my job will be waiting for me when I return. The group is scattered all over the country and we happened to have an in-person meeting in January in NJ. The gave me this incredible basket of goodies - books, lollipops, fuzzy socks for the hospital, organic treats, etc.
wow, what are the odds?! that's crazy!
ReplyDeleteyeah, there's 8 women on the team which means 37.5% of us have been diagnosed with breast cancer, and if you add in the 4th person who had the preventive mastectomy that would up it to 50%. It is just insane. ;(
ReplyDeleteNow...since a few of us have been down this road we can tell you with certainty that you do not need to rush back to work. Please let yourself get through this and focus on your health. Unless you think work would enhance your fight/results you should forget about work for a while and know that we won't forget about you - I promise. You're gonna hear from me a lot! like it or not ;) xoxo