Tuesday, March 1, 2011

An assignment for all of you

Last week I met with the oncology social worker at the hospital and she gave me a guided imagery CD, "Meditations to Promote Successful Surgery."     The creator is a woman by the name of "Bellaruth Naparstek."    Doesn't she sound like someone that would narrate a guided imagery CD???   She has the most soothing voice!   Anyway, studies have shown that listening to this CD will help speed up healing after surgery so I am giving it a try. 

At the start of the recording, I am supposed to picture myself in a special healing place.  My place is the overwater bungalow where Craig and I stayed in Bora Bora on our honeymoon - beautiful and very relaxing.   While picturing myself there, I am transported to my operating room.   While there, I see my "cheering section"watching over and protecting me during the surgery.    YOU are my cheering section so I need your help on Friday.    I'll be headed to the hospital at around 12pm EST.   Please start thinking about me then and then try to really focus positive energy at around 3:30pm as I enter final preparations for the surgery at 4:00pm.   I guess there have been studies of people (mostly heart patients) who knew there were people praying for and thinking about them during their surgery.   They did better than those who did not know people were people praying for and thinking about them during their surgery.     The surgery is expected to last 4-5 hours so keep the positive energy going whenever you think of it.  (For my friends in Finland, try to have some good dreams about me!   I don't expect you to stay up all night!)

Thanks for all your support and comments!    In approximately 72 hours, I will be cancer free!!!

13 comments:

  1. I will be channeling ALL of my positive energy and thinking about you all afternoon / evening Friday. You're amazing...keep up your spirits and know that you have a huge network of people rooting for you and ready to support you in any way.

    JC

    ps - I like you far too much to cook for you but I can find a great food delivery place if you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can count on me to do it :) Stay strong!! And Amanda, for you I would stay up many nights if needed!!

    -T-

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can count on me, too!! I'll be rooting for you all afternoon!
    best, Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. amanda, you've been in all our thoughts and in our conversations. i'm terrified for you, not going to lie. i want everything to be okay so badly. i want this not to be happening to you. of course we'll be thinking and praying for you during your surgery- at least the bit that we're awake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Amanda:

    The Karma Party starts now. It will slowly increase in intensity until it reaches its apex on Friday afternoon and evening. Imagine me in the bleachers waving an enormous 'WE LOVE AMANDA' sign...inciting thousands to scream the mantra in unison.

    (Definitely don't imagine me popping up in Bora Bora because that might scare you (and Craig).

    There is NO FEAR in your visualization. There is only love, support, competence, faith and appreciation.

    “There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.”

    -Washington Irving.

    "Beaming and blazing,"
    CST

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be there...it's on my Outlook Calendar. I'll be sure to spread the word at the birthday party at Pump It Up too. You've been in our family's prayer intentions since you shared the news with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. already had my calendar marked to do exactly this :) also have asked my friends/family/followers to be praying for you too!AND you're on the prayer list at my church now too. there are hundreds of us praying and sending healing thoughts and wishes for you Amanda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am sending all positive thoughts your way and have been praying for you and will do so especially on Friday. Hugs to you, Craig, Raymond and Emily too! You are amazing, strong and loved by many!!

    Ps -- hope you rec'd edible arrangement today -- wanted you to know we're thinking of you.

    Love,
    Deb T

    ReplyDelete
  9. been cheering for you since that phone call. on friday, you'll also have andy, claire and james (and our sunday school class, and all of my other girlfriends who I have been making touch their boobs to self-check and anyone else who'll listen )... cheering REALLY loud and quietly, seriously praying.
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got my pom-poms out and they're ready to go!I'll even thrown in a few high kicks for good measure. In all seriousness, you have one more prayer and positive thought being sent to you from Boston and I'll let Shannon know in the morning that all of her smiles tomorrow will be going to you as well. That way she'll make sure to have lots of them.

    You can do this - you are a strong and fascinating woman who will beat this and will come out even brighter than before.

    By the way, if you happen to see me in Bora Bora, I hope I have a fruity cocktail in my hand :)

    Lots of love,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda, I have been praying for and thinking about you every day. I will be redoubling my focus and positive energy on you for Friday afternoon!! Stay strong (as you always are) and relish in the fact that you are on the road to recovery. Take care, Tricia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the best news is that you have had a cheering section for the last six weeks and it sure isn't going to stop now! I of course will be sending nothing but good thoughts, prayers and energy your way ALL DAY tomorrow. I wish I could deliver a big HUG in person, but this electronic one will have to do for now! Love you! Judi

    ReplyDelete
  13. absolutely! Big hugs for you, you're going to do great! Love, Elizabeth G.

    ReplyDelete