Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Final pathology report and unexpected visit with my breast surgeon

I now have a copy of my final pathology report from the surgery and can now confirm the following:
  • There were 2 primary tumors (not 3 or 4 as we originally feared) measuring 2.0cm and 1.1cm.  The tumors were 1.5cm apart and in the same quadrant of my breast, not different as originally thought.
  • Once again, the pathologist only tested the HER2 status on 1 tumor, arguing that the tumors were so close together they would have the same characteristics.   The medical oncologist did not like this line of thinking and is making the pathologist do the test over.  Dr.E gets things done and does not care who she pisses off in the process!
  • Margins were clear/negative - 1.0cm to the chest wall (which is a HUGE margin) and 0.6cm to the skin.
Based on the above, my cancer is Stage IA!  :)

When we stopped at the breast surgeon's office to get a copy of the report and to make my follow up appointment and my breast surgeon happened to be in the office between surgeries.  It was nice to see her and she asked if I wanted to "flash her" so she quickly examined me.   She literally winced when she saw how "full" I was from the expansion.  She was happy with how everything is healing (as was the plastic surgeon).    We decided I did not need to come back for a formal follow-up appointment, which was nice.  

There had been some disagreement between Craig/my Mom and I about the breast surgeon's thoughts on my lymph nodes going into the surgery.   I thought she was not worried until she got in there and saw them but Craig/Mom thought she was worried there would be lymph node involvement before she even started the surgery.   Turns out Craig/Mom were right.   She did think the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes but never let on, which I appreciate!    She also was worried during the surgery she could not get clean margins to the skin so was happy to see the pathology results.   I am happy I went with the "meticulous" surgeon as she worked her butt off to get me these awesome results!

I don't have to see her again until a month after the implants are done.  At that point, she'll teach me how to do self-exams, since I do still have breast tissue left in my chest.  Then, I will see here annually.  I am so happy that the Breast Center referred me to her on January 14 and I told her so yesterday.   She has been such a wonderful doctor and person in literally my darkest days.   I am kind of sad that I won't see her again for a few months!

6 comments:

  1. More fabulous news -- treatment plan and pathology results. woo hoo! Disney here you come (well, in 5 months!)
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom is always right.
    LDV

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so happy for you and the really upbeat results!! yea!!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, but only KIND OF sad you're not going to see her for a couple of months. right? :)

    amanda, i'm so so so so so happy for you. i'm so happy things are headed in the direction they NEED to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, I had school this week, so I am respondig to all right now! Again you have some incredible news for us! You blow me away with your ass kicking methods!

    And, from last post, it would not surprise me in the least to see you by the pool at Disney, past all this with your new software taking charge!

    LOTS OF LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. outstanding! so glad to see this. =) there's a study that came out not long ago that demonstrated that those with faith in their physicians (and faith in 4 other things/areas) was critical to the best outcome -- I probably told you this before but can't remember. I'm so happy that you have faith and confidence in your surgeon and other docs - so many people don't - you're ahead of the game already. :)

    ReplyDelete