Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mom

Mom is headed to the airport for her flight to Orlando after spending the last 3 weeks with us.  She leaves behind some lovely New Jersey "spring" weather - almost a foot of snow between a small storm on Monday and a bigger storm yesterday and overnight (which resulted in no school yesterday and a delayed opening today).    I know she is looking forward to getting back to her husband and her much quieter life.    I am not going to lie, our house can be really loud at times, mostly because of the 2-year-old girl child!  ;)

I am SO blessed to have a mother who was willing and able to give up a month of her life, including a week in January right after the diagnosis, to be here for us.   She was my shoulder to cry on, my nurse to deal with all the yucky post-biopsy and surgery stuff, my chauffeur, my masseuse, our chef, our laundry-doer, etc.  She made sure Sam was fed and had water.   She packed lunches and took the kids to and from school.   She told me to rest when I needed it.   She played with the kids.   I am sure I am leaving many things out.   She has always been an incredibly supportive mother but this went above and beyond the call of duty.    I really am so lucky to have her in my life and I love her so very much. 

I miss her already!

7 comments:

  1. Your mom rocks! I can't say much more than that...other than that your post brought a little tear to my eyes. There is a lot to be said for such a solid mother-daughter relationship!

    love,
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are never too old for our mommies. EVER. EVER. although i've never called mine "mommy" in all my life. :) the sentiment is there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, my dear daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe you guys got a foot of snow since we left there! Seriously? Here in NY (a mere 65 miles away) we didn't get much more than pixie dust.

    Also, I could not agree more with your heart-felt reflection: your daughter is SO LOUD. Lucky for her, she's adorable beyond description. I love that little spitfire.

    As for your mom, she is not nearly as loud, and her outfits aren't quite as cute, but as far as moms (and aunts) go, she is THE BOMB!

    XOXOXOX,
    CST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom IS great! (And I am happy I was lucky enough to meet her here in Finland).

    :) to the above!

    And considering the circumstances, your mom wouldn't have had it any other way, I am sure!

    Let's chat!

    And LOL - Lots of Love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her for doing all those things for you too even though I don't know her. She knows what you're going through which I'm sure made it easier for her to know how best to support you too -- even if she didn't, I'm sure she'd have known anyway. What a blessing! I was blessed to have similar support from my mom after my surgery too. So happy you have that support and that of others too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobody is lucky to have cancer, but you are spectacularly lucky in your mother! :)

    Glad to hear about the good medical reports, too. Four cycles, no radiation, stage IA -- everything but the expansion process seems to be working in your favor at this point. I'm keeping all appendages crossed that the process continues to go "smoothly" (at least as far as cancer goes).

    Hugs and cheers,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete