Friday, March 4, 2011

Time to kick a little cancer ass...

Twenty-seven months ago today, on December 4, 2008, Craig and I woke up early and headed to Naistenklinikka ("Women's Hospital") in Helsinki for my last surgery - the c-section that welcomed Emily into the world.  I have a feeling that c-sections are a way more fun "surgery" than a bilateral mastectomy but I am ready for this to be done and dusted.    I am ready to be cancer free and an official breast cancer survivor.   I am ready to move on to the "maintenance phase" of my treatment plan - chemo.    I still cannot believe this is happening but Craig's funny attempts to Jim Bakker-style "HEAL" me have not worked so I guess we have to go the surgical route.  :)

We have to be at the hospital at 12:30pm ET and I have my radioactive dye injection at 2:00pm ET for the sentinel node biopsy.   The surgery is scheduled for 4:00pm ET but the plastic surgeon warned me it could start later than that.    The surgery will be 4-5 hours.   Craig will post an update when he can after the surgery but it likely will not be until quite late, after they have seen me in recovery and driven home.    But I promise he will post something at some point.

Thank you for all the cheering so far.   I will see all of you in the OR as I close my eyes and go to sleep!

7 comments:

  1. We'll be thinking positive thoughts and praying (even harder than normally!) during your surgery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, Amanda. Please relax and allow me to guide you through some imagery in preparation for this afternoon.

    Take deep breaths. Slowly count backwards from 942,683. Close your eyes and calmly imagine:

    Your cousin (me) in her cancer-kickin' boots and a red and white cheerleading outfit, circa 1980. My white sweater bears a huge, bold (red, not scarlet) "A". I am air-boxing my way up the steps of that art museum in Philly while "Eye of the Tiger" plays loudly in the background. I get to the top, shake my head in slow motion and sweat drops off in all directions. I raise my taped fists in triumph and scream: "Go Adrienne!"

    (Ahem) Quickly realizing my mistake, I scream "GO AMANDA!" and the crowd of supporters-numbering in the thousands- goes wild. Together we chant "A-MAN-DA" over and over again but we become disappointed when you fail to appear. I see your mom at the head of the pack and spit my mouth-guard out (away from her) and ask: "Aunt Laurie?! Where is Amanda?" And she replies:

    "She and Craig are in Bora Bora, Dummy."

    Together, the crowd and I conquer our jealousy (it is wicked cold in Philly) and our resolve grows even stronger and we again resume our chant: "A-MAN-DA!"

    And that is where we remain. Gathered in Philadelphia. Air-punching cancer and Screaming your name. Fighting with all we've got. For you.

    Go get 'em Tiger.
    CST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I think I am in love with your cousin, and I am definitely on those stairs with her! Maybe not in a cheerleading outfit, however. Prada?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who are these ladies above :) They are great to have cheering for you. I will surely be there with them in the stands - but I am with Liz...you want a happy dream so I will not torture you with me in a cheerleding uniform on me. I'll have my runners on! Goodness, could you imagine me as a cheerleader.....

    Kick it, girlfriend, and kick it hard! You're a bleeping Rock Star!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you won't read this until after the surgery, but the time is now...kick its a$$, baby! Been thinking of you all day....Judi

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're all behind you, "Adrienne!" :)

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I must meet this "CST" :). Secondly, I hope you're currently enjoying some seriously strong pain medication and sleeping right now. Third, do you have video of Craig's Bakker imitation because I would realllllly love to see that! ;)....most importantly though, congrats for KICKING CANCER'S ASS!!!!!!! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete